Saturday, June 30, 2007

Some people don't get it

This one a lot of us have gotten, a co-worker of mine pointed one of theirs out and it brought back memories of my own run-in with this type of customer, this is my account of this particular customer, although I am almost pretty sure this has been as close to the same as anyone else who has gotten a customer like this.

A customer calls up complaining about not being able to connect to their wireless network, normally we don't help with wireless networks because it's not our hardware but a lot of us know enough about it to help them out so we continue to help, go through all the normal troubleshooting which tells us that the customers computer isn't seeing a wireless network in range which can mean one of two things, either the router is off or dead, or the customer honestly isn't in range of a wireless router or hot-spot.

So the next question comes up, is the router plugged in and what lights are showing up? Customer states that it's plugged in, at least it was when she left....... Now this sends up a red flag, when she left?....... Ok, no one could be this stupid (famous last words I swear) so maybe she is trying to connect to a friends wireless network.

Now before I started working here I thought that the stories of idiot technical questions and stupid customers were exaggerations, but I was wrong, I was DEAD wrong. After a little bit of questioning it turns out this particular lady wasn't near her home, wasn't at a friends house, she wasn't even in the same STATE! Yet she still insisted that she is paying for the service and should be able to connect to her HOME wireless internet and actually threatened to cancel if we couldn't get her to connect to it.

After explaining it to her, several times, enduring three or four rounds of threats to cancel and my experience with these problems questioned* she finally hung up, luckily it was my last call of the day and was time for dinner, I now know why there is a bar near-by.

*Side Note: I have 10 going on 11 years of experience with computer networks and computers in and of themselves, I have several certifications and have worked in computer repair shops for 4 of those 10 years, any questions feel free to post 'em and I will answer them if I can.

No comments: